- ALL students must pass the Algebra I Keystone Exam, the English Literature Keystone Exam and the Biology Keystone Exam with a proficient or advanced score.
Students can meet the statewide graduation requirement by:
- Scoring proficient or advanced on each Keystone Exam - Algebra I, Literature, and Biology.
- Earning a satisfactory composite score on the Algebra I, Literature, and Biology Keystone Exams.
- Earning a passing grade on the courses associated with each Keystone Exam, and satisfactorily complete one of the following: an alternative assessment (SAT, PSAT, ACT, ASVAB, Gold Level ACT WorkKeys), advanced coursework (AP, IB, concurrent enrollment courses), pre-apprenticeship, or acceptance in a 4-year nonprofit institution of higher education for college-level coursework.
- Earning a passing grade on the courses associated with each Keystone Exam, and pass the National Occupational Competency Testing Institute (NOCTI) or the National Institute of Metalworking Skills (NIMS) assessment in an approved Career and Technical Education concentration.
- Earning a passing grade on the courses associated with each Keystone Exam, and demonstrate readiness for postsecondary engagement through three pieces of evidence from the student’s career portfolio aligned to student goals and career plan. Examples of evidence will include ACT WorkKeys, SAT Subject tests, AP, IB and concurrent coursework, higher education acceptance, community learning project, completion of an internship, externship or co-op or full-time employment.
The Pennsylvania Department of Education requires school districts in Pennsylvania to administer the Keystone Exams to all students in Grades 9-11. Additionally, to meet state and federal graduation requirements, the Mars Area School District adopted graduation requirements for the Class of 2022 and beyond, as outlined in District Policy 217 Graduation.
All Keystone Exam test scores will be included on all students’ educational transcripts. Parents are asked to encourage students to take the exams seriously.
- Pennsylvania Department of Education Standards Aligned System - www.pdesas.org
- Pennsylvania Department of Education Keystone Exams - https://www.education.pa.gov/K-12/Assessment%20and%20Accountability/Keystones/Pages/default.aspx