National Honor Society
National Honor Society (NHS) is an organization established to recognize outstanding high school students who have demonstrated excellence in the areas of leadership, scholarship, service, and character.
Mars Area High School's sophomores, juniors and seniors, with a 3.90 or higher grade point average at the completion of the first nine weeks grading period of the current school year, are eligible to apply to the National Honor Society. (A copy of the applicants official transcript must be included with his/her application.)
Minimum application requirements include the completion of a minimum of 12 hours of community service per school year; participation and leadership in extracurricular activities; and a personal essay. Students who do not meet the above minimum requirements will not be considered.
For a complete list of application instructions and additional information, click on the following:
To request an NHS Application, a student must bring a copy of his/her schedule to Mr. Dave Kuremsky, NHS advisor, in Room 221. Mr. Kuremsky will then e-mail the student an application that must be completed electronically, printed, and turned in to Room 221 by no later than 2:30 p.m. on Friday, Jan. 7, 2022.
If accepted and inducted into National Honor Society, a commitment to leadership, scholarship, character and volunteer work is mandatory.
All National Honor Society members must:
- continue to participate in school and community activities
- complete and verify 12 volunteer hours per year
- participate in a National Honor Society Fundraiser each year
- maintain a 3.9 GPA
- not have any detentions, suspensions, or incidences of academic dishonesty
- attend monthly meetings (during activity period)
- participate in NHS activities and events including future NHS inductions