National Honor Society
National Honor Society (NHS) is an organization established to recognize outstanding high school students who have demonstrated excellence in the areas of leadership, scholarship, service, and character.
Sophomores and juniors are eligible to apply to the National Honor Society if they meet ALL of the following criteria…
- A WGPA of 3.9 or higher
- Community service hours — 24 hours for sophomores, 36 hours for juniors. (Note: Community service hours MUST come from at least two (2) different organizations.)
- Four (4) school/community activities for a minimum of two (2) years each. A leadership position on your application will reduce the necessary activities from four (4) to three (3). (Note: Activities cannot be of the same type — sports, music, church, etc.)
Meeting the above criteria does not guarantee acceptance into the NHS. However, not meeting this criterion does guarantee that one will not be accepted into the organization.
A copy of the applicant’s official transcript must be included with his/her application.
Application instructions MUST be picked up in person and will be available in Room 221, Tuesday, Nov. 1, through Wednesday, Dec. 21. NO applications will be distributed after Wednesday, Dec. 21. Completed applications must be turned in by no later than 2:30 p.m. on Friday, Jan. 6.
If accepted and inducted into National Honor Society, a commitment to leadership, scholarship, character and volunteer work is mandatory.
All National Honor Society members must:
- continue to participate in school and community activities
- complete and verify 18 volunteer hours per year
- maintain a 3.9 GPA
- not have any detentions, suspensions, or incidences of academic dishonesty
- attend meetings (during activity period)
- participate in NHS activities and events including future NHS inductions
Specific questions may be directed to Mr. Dave Kuremsky, NHS advisor, at [email protected].